Monday, January 3, 2011

SPECTRUM

The idea behind this project is to use colour as the main principle for a project. Most of the time when I am considering an idea, although colour features a lot it is usually given a back seat compared to form and size etc. The idea of making a project which is based solely around colour was very refreshing, although a lot of the time very frustrating too! Starting was a little difficult, I found it hard to think of something to begin with as usually there is an interesting form which attracts me and goes on to inspire the rest of the project. However, after finally seeing what was right in front of me, I started looking at street signs. I found it interesting to use them as inspiration, as not only is their design very specific and strongly based on colour, our relationship with these colours and shapes is how street signs are used to communicate with the public. For example you would never continue driving through a red stop sign, and would be very confused if you were to see a green stop sign, as that is the colour we associate with go, without even considering it. So I started to photograph lots of street signs and create a palette of colours and shapes to work with.

Then I began to experiment with the basic shapes that the signs created, and play around with them to try and come up with my own designs:






 I decided that the elements I liked the most from the signs were the contrast created between the strong colours; their simple yet strong, graphic shapes and the repetition of seeing them again and again in the streets and how that symbol builds up in your mind. I experimented with different shapes and sizes of basic red forms, pushing the circle into more exaggerated shapes to see how that would work.


I cut my final design out in wood this morning, it's a series of shapes which progressively get larger and more exaggerated as well as consisting of more layers of wood. I'm hoping to paint it in red and white to highlight the shapes and their layers and then display it on the wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment