Sunday, October 23, 2011

Repairs 2

Since my last post I have moved on quite a lot in my project. I reviewed my work to date, and I felt that although the reassembled toys were interesting, they didn't really get the point I wanted across, and their main factor was in shock value rather than repairing things. I felt that the ceramic pieces had more to them, so I tried to keep reassembling them, trying to see how much I could do with the different shapes of the broken crockery.




It seemed a little bit unsure, and lacking direction, so I looked at these models and tried to re-asses my project, and what I was trying to say with it. I realised that what I was trying to get across from this breaking and assembling of objects was the importance that people place in very every-day, mundane objects. Something that is a gift or has a memory attached to it will be treasured in a way more expensive items may not. I hope to research this idea more and find a way to show how people can treasure very simple, ordinary items.
I started thinking about ways to try and convey this idea of ordinary things becoming very important, and I looked into the historical aspects of this. I noted how japanese culture respects the ordinary, and how they find beauty in the most simple, functional vessels for their tea ceremonys. I don't want to use this directly in my project as it is full of so much history that I really don't have the knowledge to comment on, but I liked that idea of beauty in functionality; and wanted to try and apply it to a more western, modern culture. I decided upon looking at a plastic cup, as it is entirely functional and no part of it is intended to do anything other than act as a temporary vessel. I have started investigating how to create a sense of importance when you look at this object, and think exploring this path more could lead to some really interesting results.


By changing the environment, size, or material the cup is made from it says something very different than if it is sitting in a dispenser, and I want to find a way to use this in my work to show how important the humble things can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment